Department of Computer Science
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154-4019
Office: TBE B 381
(702) 895 5222 (fax)
| Education and Previous Appointments
Professor Bein holds a Ph.D. (Dr. rer. nat.) from the University
of Osnabrueck, Germany. He has been on the faculty of Duke
University, the University of New Mexico, the University of
Texas at Dallas, and was on the technical staff
of American Airlines,
before joining the faculty at UNLV.
At UNLV he is a Co-Director
Center for Information Technology and Algorithms.
Professor Bein also is a
His Erdös number is 2.
(Curriculum Vita (2018)
Dr. Bein's research program has a dual objective to pursue research on a broad range of algorithmic topics and to impact real-world issues by applying rigorous methods.
- Algorithms models: on-line competitive algorithms, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming speed-up; combinatorial optimization: approximations and heuristics.
- Sensor networks and embeddings; multidimensional star networks, honeycomb meshes; fault tolerance; cloud computing.
- Algorithmic methods for power management, energy-efficient computing, and smart control for alternative energy.
- Smart City Traffic Management.
- Free, Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS).
National Science Foundation
- Hiro Ito, The University of Electro-Communication, Tokyo.
- Alan Hoffman,
T. J. Watson Research Center, IBM, Yorktown Heights.
- Mordecai Golin, Hong Kong University of Science
and Technology, Hong Kong.
- Xin Han,
The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Hal Sudborough , University
of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, TX.
- Rudolf Fleischer, German University of Technology in Oman.
- Rüdiger Reischuk, University
of Lübeck, Germany.
- Matt Stallmann,
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
- Jose R.Correa,
Universidad Adolfo Ibanez, Chile.
- Lawrence Larmore, University
of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV.
- John Noga, California Satate
University, Northridge, CA.
- Leah Epstein ,
University of Haifa, Israel.
- Kazuo Iwama,
Kyoto University, Japan.
- Shahram Latifi , University
of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV.
- Peter Brucker, University
of Osnabrück, Germany.
- Doina Bein, California State University, Fullerton.
- Stefan Pickl, University of the Federal Armed Forces Munich, Germany.
Both Fall 2020 courses CS 477/677 Anaysis of Algorithms and CS 715 Advanced Analysis of Algorithms are available in WebCampus.
- Senator from the College of Engineering, Faculty Senate
- Member, Graduate College Awards Committee
- Chair, CS Accreditation Committee
- Chair, CS Colloquium Committee
- Moderator, TheoryNT
- Program Committees: ICDCS 2019, IEEE CCWC 2020, ICSOFT 2020, ITNG 2020.